F3: Jack Doohan wins around a wet Paul Ricard to take race victory
Jack Doohan has taken his maiden win in the third Formula 3 race of the weekend, with his race coming alive in the drying track conditions as the rain eased.
Doohan passed Dennis Hauger on Lap 15 as the Prema driver lost time, struggling to cool the wet tyres, in the drying conditions.
Pulling the move on the inside of the final corner, Hauger did not make it easy for the Australian, with the pair going wheel to wheel for much of the first sector. Although Hauger kept the pressure on, the Trident driver held on to the top podium position.
Dennis Hauger, finishing P2, had a stronger start than Pole sitter Frederik Vesti off the line in the wet conditions. The Prema driver, evidently confident, stretched out a gap to the rest of the grid by the first lap but couldn’t match the pace of Doohan on the wet tyres in the closing laps.
Caio Collet gained confidence as the track dried out, slipping passed Frederick Vesti as he struggled to cool the tyres and later Victor Martins, to take the last step on the podium in P3.
Clement Novalak had a strong start making up three positions in the opening laps as the drivers tried to find where the grip was. Novalak was in no time on the tail of Frederick Vesti as the drivers slipped around the track. However the Trident driver couldn’t match the pace of the top four as the track dried out.
- Leicester City Snap Manchester United’s Unbeaten Away Streak
- Eric Djemba-Djemba: “When you work hard, you can make it”
- F1 2021 Turkish Grand Prix: Qualifying Report: Hamilton fastest, but Bottas takes a crucial pole
- F1 2021 Turkish Grand Prix Preview: Can Hamilton repeat his heroics from last year?
- F1 Blast from the Past: Raikkonen wins first Turkish GP to close championship gap